NAME OF THE INVENTOR:
M-Systems Ltd., (sometimes spelled msystems) was a Nasdaq-listed Israeli producer of USB Flash Drive & Memory Drive storage products founded in 1989 by Dov Moran and based in Kfar Saba, Israel. They were best known for developing and patenting the 1st Flash Drive, marketed in 1995 as DiskOnChip, and the 1st USB Flash Drive, marketed in 2000 as DiskOnKey.
They also created the patented True Flash Filing System (TrueFFS) which presented the flash memory as a disk drive to the computer. After 17 years of business, they were acquired by their prior competitor, SanDisk, in 2006. The DiskOnChip (DOC) was developed at the R&D Center established by M-Systems called EUROM. Rick Iorillo, Rony Levy and David Deitcher were the individuals that worked on the development and marketing of the first 2 MB DOC. This product went on to receive the Mostovative Award from EDN in 1995 and later went on to become the Flash Drive and DiskOnKey Inn.
A USB Flash Drive is a data storage device that includes flash memory with an integrated Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface. USB Flash Drive / Pendrive are typically removable and rewritable, and physically much smaller than an optical disc. USB Flash Drive / Pendrive are often used for the same purposes for which floppy disks or CD-ROMs were used, i.e., for storage, back-up and transfer of computer files. They are smaller, faster, have thousands of times more capacity, and are more durable and reliable because they have no moving parts. USB Flash Drive / Pendrive use the USB mass storage standard, supported natively by modern operating systems such as Linux, OS X, Windows, and other Unix-like systems, as well as many BIOS boot ROMs. USB drives with USB 2.0 support can store more data and transfer faster than much larger optical disc drives like CD-RW or DVD-RW drives and can have capacities ranging from 1GB to 1TB.
Types of USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
1) Waterproof USB Flash Drive / Pendrive.
2) Leef Bridge USB Flash Drive / Pendrive.
3) Microvault USB Flash Drive / Pendrive.
let’s see them in detail……
1) Waterproof USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
This type of USB Flash Drive / Pendrive is not only water resistant but its also shock resistant. The 1st waterproof USB Flash Drive / Pendrive with its limited edition was brought by Hp with its first version i.e HP V22 3G in the lunar dragon year with a durable stylish compact design and has a tie bar externally fitted on it. The starting capacity of this USB Flash Drive / Pendrive is 16gb onwards. It reads 18mb/sec and writes 8mb/sec. This USB Flash Drive / Pendrive can store all your documents, images, songs and movies and it is totally 100% waterproof.
2) Leef Bridge USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
Leef Bridge features a micro USB connector and full-size USB connector that access the same memory so users can share content, photos, videos, music and documents to and from any compatible device. The memory utilized within Leef Bridge has fast read and write speeds to ensure slick video and music playback directly from the USB drive.
3) Microvault USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
Microvault USM-R is the casual and compact USB drive powered from Sony. With its nice-looking design and retractable connector, it is perfect for a wide range of storage applications. This type of USB Flash Drive / Pendrive is also water resistant & shock resistant and it is more better than waterproof & leef bridge. The starting capacity of this USB Flash Drive / Pendrive is 8gb onwards. It reads & writes 32GB/s.
Advantages of a USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
- Much more resistant to scratches unlike CD Roms and floppies.
- Much more convenient, will work with almost any computer as long as there is a flash drive.
- Great storage space.
- It’s small size is convenient for carrying, and takes little space.
- One can purchase a USB that more reflects them through its colors and design.
Disadvantages of a USB Flash Drive / Pendrive:
- It’s small size also means it can be lost easily and/or forgotten.
- Its life span can be short, about several hundred thousand cycles.
- As the device ages, the speed of writing process gradually slows.
- Only a few USB Flash Drive / USB Flash Drive / Pendrive are equipped with a write-protect mechanism, meaning those that don’t have the protection could be contaminated by what ever virus the computer it was connected to has.
- If inappropriately removed from the USB drive without being ejected, it become damaged or lose the data saved to it.